Tuesday 17 January 2012

A Year of Living Pantless.


These last few months have shown me what being a member of a misunderstood minority means. I know now that this is because we are "not quite like them". I can sense that people secretly envy us the freedoms our situation grants us, quietly speculate on what arcane rituals make up our daily lives & openly belittle our efforts & contribution to society. Despite this I am not ashamed to admit that for the last year & a bit I have been a telecommuter - while that may sound like I am a time traveler who happened to catch a really slow train it actually means that I work from home for a living.

Clearly this has it's charms. Every time the fuel price goes up I have a not so quiet laugh to myself. It seems like the world situation & our Govt. are conspiring to keep me laughing - maybe not all the way to the bank but definitely away from the petrol pump. Also - I work in the evenings & the daytime TV schedules give me an unique opportunity to catch up on movies that may have slipped by unnoticed when they were originally released. Unfortunately, while I do hit the occasional jackpot with a giant helicopter chomping crocodile or a made in Ooty Mithunda potboiler in most of the cases it soon becomes apparent that these movies deserved to sink without a trace at the box-office. To add to that I have never had to take a day off for illness !

On the flip side - did I mention that I never get to take a day off for illness ? The assumption being that since I am at home I can hammer out a proposal in between bouts of coughing or take a call as the pain killer for my migraine kicks in. Luckily I don't fall sick that often but if that got me a day off from work maybe I would like to ! While every office has it's share of annoying people my appreciation for the people I have worked with has gone up several notches over the last year. This is thanks to the 2 maids who work at my house. Each is innocuous enough alone but their daily collision creates a toxic nerve numbing environment that even the super resilient cockroaches that survive nuclear wars would struggle to last a minute in. At times like this I yearn for a 3 hour team building meeting in an ill-ventilated conference room sitting next to a guy with unwashed socks - anything as long as it's far away.

The moral of the story is that while the grass may indeed be greener on the other side - it's still grass & who needs that unless you are Boris Becker ? Although I have to admit that spending all day almost every day in shorts or tracks & a T-shirt sure beats having to wear formals & shoes so here's celebrating a year (& a bit) of being pantless !

No comments:

Post a Comment